Thursday 21 March 2013

circles and lines and colour




I've been enjoying making patterns and exploring colour - colours that I don't often use in my children's book illustrations. I wish I could do this kind of thing all the time as it's so much fun, but I'm constantly worried about making a living these days, which makes me feel guilty if I'm not doing something that leads directly to paid work. 
But sometimes, you just have to forget it all, loosen up and have a little fun. It helps lift my mood especially during these loooong cold wet months :)






4 comments:

  1. These patterns are great! They remind me of 50's style furnishings for some reason. Don't feel guilty one bit - playing around with this stuff will lead to more creativity for your paid work. Just call it 'professional development' then it sounds much more important and grown up (then you have a good excuse to have fun)!

    www.appletreesintheclouds.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are beautiful! I love the colors.

    I have the same dilemma, and usually feel guilty doing the fun, exploratory stuff, too. But I agree 100% with Jenni -- this kind of creative play is crucial to your work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for your lovely words Jenni and Robin :) It means a lot, especially these days when I'm not sure what I'm doing most of the time!

    ReplyDelete