Wednesday 31 July 2013

who I am




I went to my agent Arena's Summer Party last Thursday - a rare evening off, and out!

As I don't get out much without Oki these days, it's a treat to rediscover the world out there through different eyes - as myself, rather than as a mother. (Still got excited when I saw trains and cranes and diggers though, can't help it!)

The party was lovely, and reminded me how important it is to stay in touch with fellow creatives. Having moved to the suburbs just before Oki was born, and not being to get out as much with a baby who seemed to cry inconsolably all the time, I'd lost touch with my previous self. 
I missed creativity, stimulation, friends, people from different backgrounds interested in a whole variety of stuff! My world suddenly changed, and who you were became almost irrelevant.

2 years on, and I feel like I am finding that person again. On the train journey back, a slightly odd but friendly woman sat next to me, smiled and asked me what I do. In response to that question, I've been saying "I'm a mum" for a while, but that night for the first time in ages, I said "I'm an illustrator, I make pictures" :)


p.s. Thank you Arena for persuading me to come out and for hosting a lovely party!

2 comments:

  1. Good for you! I know that feeling so well... needing to integrate the creative daydreamer and the practical mama, and find the right balance. It's tough, especially the first couple of years. My friends all told me it would get easier, and it actually HAS. Whew.

    (I love your work!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Robin, it's good to know it gets easier :)
    I'm looking forward to the time when I don't have to sacrifice sleep to get things done...will it ever happen??

    ReplyDelete